Sunday 10 February 2013

Coconut Oil: Wonder Product

 photo SAM_0416_zps9be21320.jpg
 
 
At any one time there are two jars of coconut oil in my house, one in my kitchen and one in my bathroom. I absolutely love it and I thought it would be fun to share with you some of the things I use it for.
 
Let's start in the kitchen...
 
Unless you have been living under a rock I am sure you have heard of the Paleo craze, one of my friends husbands is an absolute convert and on a recent visit to their house was greeted with some delicious Paleo friendly banana bread. I asked for the recipe and my relationship with coconut oil began (let me know if you would be interested in the recipe and I will happily share it). I am not on any specific diet but I like that all these diet crazes come with fun new recipes because I do love experimenting in the kitchen and finding new and interesting ingredients, I now use coconut oil in a lot of cooking in place of butter and other oils, it is delicious!
 
Now for the bathroom...
 
Once I developed a love for Coconut oil I had a little Google and found it had many more uses than just baking. One of my favourite things to do with Coconut Oil is to use it as a hair mask, it is a solid product but I just scoop some out and warm it between my hands, I cover all my hair in the oil and then, depending how lazy I'm feeling, will wrap my hair in a warm towel, or just put it up in a claw clip thingy. I usually leave it on for an hour or so but have left it on overnight before, and then wash it out. The washing part does take a little longer than normal and my hair requires two shampoos to get all of it out but I love the result, my hair looks so healthy and shiny, if your hair is dry or damaged I strongly recommend giving this a go.
 
I also love using this as a body moisturiser, I haven't been using it as much in the warmer months, but I realise that a lot of you are in Winter now so I decided to do this post anyway! I love just warming the oil in my hands and using it wherever I have dry patches, in particular my elbows, cuticles and my legs after shaving. It leaves a bit of a sheen, as you would expect from an oil, but it absorbs quite quickly and leaves you smelling divine! In the Winter my dry skin can have a tendency to experience a little eczema, I have found this to be one of the most effective ways of clearing that up, it really is quite amazing!
 
Do you use coconut oil for cooking and/or beauty? If so, I would love to know what else you use it for.
 
Zoe xx
 


4 comments:

  1. I just bought a giant tub of coconut oil yesterday as I've jumped on board the paleo bandwagon! I'm yet to use it (planning on a cooking and baking day today so it's almost time to crack that baby open) but didn't think I'd get use for it anywhere else other than the kitchen! Thanks for another timely post Zoe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen so many similar posts about coconut oil. Looks like I need to jump on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't cook with coconut oil, but I use the scented version as part of my skincare. I get mine all the way from Fiji though :) Where did you get yours from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using coconut oil for my hair its seriously the best hair mask Ive ever tried!

    mybeautysecret4you.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete