Saturday 12 January 2013

What I'm reading: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Photobucket

Now that work has finished for the year I have been able to get in a bit more reading which has been very nice. I heard about this book from one of my high school students and I try to keep up with what they're reading so I can talk to them about it!

Set in a Distopian world where people are divided into "factions" depending on a choice they made when they were teenagers, Divergent follows 16-year-old Tris as she goes through this process. The five factions are based around one main value each of the groups have which dictate thier actions and behaviours. These include bravery, knowledge, honesty, selflessness and peace. You are raised in one faction and at the age of 16 can decide whether or not this faction is for you, if you decide to change factions this decision will lead to leaving your family behind.

It kind of reminds me of The Hunger Games in that it is a very easy to read book clearly targeted at young adults, but still deals with some older themes including loyalty, dealing with consequences, making life changing decisions and being true to yourself.

I did enjoy this book and finished it in a few days but there were some parts that frustrated me. I found myself being frustrated with Tris, the main character, as things that I thought seemed obvious to the reader, she did not pick up on until significantly later. There is, however, some good characterisation in the novels and you do find yourself really hoping that good triumphs over evil in the end. There is also quite a nice little love story that develops.

This book is the first in a trilogy and while I won't be running out to find the other two, I think I will get around to reading them eventually. If you are after a light, holiday read, or if you are a high school teacher trying to keep up with what your students are reading, this just may be what you're looking for!

I'm always on the hunt for new books to read, if you are reading anything good at the moment I would love to hear about it.

Happy reading!

Zoe xx

3 comments:

  1. I just realised why I couldnt remember this book when I lent it to you, I havent read it haha. Glad you enjoyed it, I am still trying to finish shantaram, it will be the death of me i think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I thought the spine looked a little unread... I think you'd like it, it's an easy read, might be a good little break from Shantaram!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zoe,
    Found your blog via Vanisha's life in Australia. Love your blog, am a new follower. I would highly recommend a blog design. It changed everything for me.
    Cheers,
    Kayleigh http://www.thewayiwanderlust.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete